knpmaster's endgame stats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knpmaster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: knpmaster's endgame stats Reply with quote

Just beat the final boss... words cannot describe how much I enjoyed this game, and how much longer I wish the game was. Overall this was one awesome game, with one hell of a soundtrack. Great job! I was looking forward to this game for a long while, and I was not disappointed.

Now to tackle the harder difficulties...

----------

I really wish that after you beat the game, you could start back at the beginning with all your stats and equip and play through it again, however all the monsters and bosses would have higher levels as if the game left off there. Maybe all the stores would also have lots better items. I think it would add to the experience and fun to be able to bash through the game again with leet gear vs. higher level enemies.

----------

ALSO! you should really have a save confirm message, cause I just accidentally saved over my file with a different file.
Brickman
Human

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
New game plus sounds cool in theory, but he'd have to design a whole bunch of new items and it'd sort of cheapen the existing high-end items and their replacements. Only time I can imagine wanting save confirmation is if you're using glidepoint, and even then I'm yet to make a mistake.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the feedback knpmaster!

I like the idea of replaying at higher levels in theory. I was crazy for Diablo II (hardcore!) where the concept was well implemented.

In practise however it is a balancing nightmare. Not only do you effectively have 2 new games, but they have to run in sequence.
The game in its current state is the result of several years of careful tweaking and I still feel that balance becomes tenuous in the final two chapters where the variables in skill allotment and equipment become so large. The skill system was also designed from the start for a level 90 cap.

In the levelling treadmill that is core to so many RPGs ( including TSE2 ) the sense of progression is mostly artifical. A +1 sword becomes meaningless when all the rats you are clobbering gain +1 armour to nullify it. But balancing those numbers just for one instance of the game remains a difficult and extremely time consuming task. Theory and formulae will only carry you so far and eventually you just have to sit down and expend man-years testing manually. x_x

On save confirmation, I agree in principal. I am cautious about such prompts though - I sometimes think that when used too frequently, they waste more of the player's time than they save. I will give it some thought.

Thanks again! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: