Endgame Reactions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epitts11
Human

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Endgame Reactions Reply with quote
First of all to Mark Pay, I cannot believe that just one person created this game. In all honesty, this is one of the best games I've played in a long long time. A great number of games by professional, well-known companies with huge budgets and a huge staff are not even half as good as this masterpiece you have created. The game is challenging, the artwork is amazing (especially considering it was, again, just one person doing it), and the script was outstanding. The personality of each character was so unique, and you portrayed each character so well in every single dialogue. The story was great too! Enshadu's back story is definitely my favorite thus far. I simply cannot put into words how great this game is. The music was superb as well! Each tune fit the setting perfectly. The music in the fight with Batiste was so epic my head nearly exploded. Razz Josh Whelchel, I thank you as well for the hard work you put into the game.

Chapter 8 was, by far, the most frustrating part of this whole game. And I was only playing on normal! Razz The battles were all so unique as well. You couldn't pick just one skill to use over and over, and expect to just breeze by every enemy. You had to use a great deal of strategy, as well as make use of all the various skills. About the only skills that I never really found a use for were Staggering Blow and Flashbang. But, what's interesting as well is how some people will absolutely love using one skill, and others will hate it. The game is very well-balanced. It's clear that you put a lot of care into this game. Maybe that's why it's so good. The big game developers don't care about their games, but you made sure that every aspect was perfect before you released it. The product is truly amazing.

Anyway, the main point of this post is this. The game is excellent, and it's absolutely mind-blowing that just one person created it. I thank you for all of your hard work. I hope that it gets all the attention it deserves, and that you maybe make a nice sum of money off of it as well Very Happy

At any rate, I'm off to play it again. Smile

Endgame Stats:
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank-you epitts11. I am slightly lost for words after such a kind review! I am so glad that you feel this way about the game.

I worked for 3 months in a larger games company this year. Whilst my experience of the industry remains limited, I do feel that small, independent teams are blessed with the freedom to focus more on small details and large risks instead of deadlines, target audiences and ticking QA boxes. Unfortunately you're 'freed' from a monthly salary for your work too. Wink

Josh's work on the soundtrack has been fantastic, and I am also most thankful to Jim Riley for his testing and feedback. He did a great deal in the year before release to help debug the game.

Flashbang and Staggering Blow seem to top the list of unpopular skills, so they may be due for some small buffs in a patch. They each have several positive effects, but perhaps none of them are strong enough to warrant using.
Brickman
Human

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think flashbang just needs a longer stun duration. Against a full three enemies it will stun one of them for less than half a "round", which is more or less negligable unless you use it constantly, in which case the pathetic damage rears its head as you notice you're throwing away more turns than you're denying them. And against a boss it's obviously quite useless; 6 cycles? Really?

Staggering blow is kinda nebulous; I've actually considered using it, just never got around to it. I just noticed that it does piercing rather than concussive damage, as opposed to strike and trick; this is possibly a blessing if you're a priests-only party but otherwise a drawback, as your other two characters provide plenty of piercing damage but rely on your priest for the best single-targe concussive. You really ought to make its full effect clearer though: The game only tells you that it'll reduce attacks by that fixed number, not that fixed number plus 15% (which you only learn from the manual), not to mention the good damage modifier is only in the manual (same for flashbang). Actually, the whole skill looks a bit nicer when you really examine it in the manual than it did before, except the damage type. Also, I should note the manual has a minus in the damage where there should be a plus. If you wanted to make a change it, though, I'd make it work on a 40 cycle duration rather than the next attack, as it's currently useless against anyone who makes multiple hits per attack (such as tool shamblers and cloud spawn, or almost anyone with a magic attack that hits the front party member).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: