Version 104 Release Candidate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Feedback and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Version 104 Release Candidate Reply with quote
I have just finished my own testing of version 104. This patch has taken especially long because I have rewritten the save/load code to work on non-admin Vista accounts, and optimized it at the same time. I've also been unable to resist the urge to slip in some alpha blending on the edges of some graphics that I thought needed it. Smile Both this and the save/load optimizations were not possible until I upgraded to MMF2 shortly before release. The result is unfortunately a 48 meg patch. :/

I've been back to test on my old XP machine too, and I realise I've already forgotten how much better the game looks running at fullscreen 4:3 on my CRT. I wish I could still get the game to default to fullscreen, but widescreen support using MMF is so problematic.

The patch to 104 is available here:

http://www.thespiritengine.com/Files/TSE2Patches/Patch-TSE2-103-to-104.exe

As usual, I would be grateful to anyone who could install the patch, keep playing normally with it, and let me know if anything new and wierd occurs. It shouldn't, but my own testing resources here are limited.

Please back up your game folder if you choose to install this patch.

The changelist is as follows:

Change List for TSE-2 version 1.04
---------------------------------------------------

Bug Fixes:
----------------
- Fixed an issue that could cause elements of a few battles to behave incorrectly if the user quit to the menu whilst they were in progress, then returned to them.
- Fixed an issue that could allow the user to trigger 2 pieces of music at the start of a level.
- Fixed an issue introduced in 103 that caused Sludge Barriers to be unaffected by Thunderstrike and Lucky Shot.
- Miscellaneous other minor fixes and tweaks.

Changes:
--------------
- Made the data directory variable. Previous versions that have been upgraded will continue to use the subdirectory of the install.
A user may change their data folder by opening /Data/Current/game.ini and changing or adding the following line:

Data Directory= ( Use the installation folder )
Data Directory=APPDATA ( Use the user's AppData folder )
Data Directory=MYDOCS ( Use the user's My Documents folder )
Data Directory=C:\Directoryname ( Use the specified folder 'C:\Directoryname' )

- Optimized save and load code.
- Some small tweaks to skills and monsters.

Last edited by Mark Pay on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Myrph
Human

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, whats the chances of worryingly fatal updates this time? ;p

Downloading the patch now, and will see how it plays out ;p

Edit: Okay, so I've just installed the patches and now my game is telling me I have no save files... Obviously its not the case, they're just not where its looking for them, but its frustrating having to adjust the .ini file to make it look back where it was originally...

Just thought I'd point that one out ;p Hopefully the rest will be okay ;p
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm very sorry about that Myrph. The patching utility is not behaving correctly. I explicitly told it not to update game.ini, but it is anyway. I'm quite angry with it, since presumably it has also been overwriting the user settings in all previous updates despite my instructions. But at least now I know where I stand if I use it for future patches.

I have managed to force it now to ignore game.ini, and updated the patch version online.

If anybody else installed the original patch, editing game.ini and deleting the line 'Data Directory=MYDOCS' will point the game back to your original save folder. There shouldn't be any need to reinstall your game.

I'm sorry again for any inconvenience.
Myrph
Human

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nah, that's not a problem mate! I'm just glad I had an idea why it was misbehaving and could deal with it! :p

Sorry to hear its not doing what its supposed to be!
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for checking it out Myrph, I appreciate your help. It's Murphy's law - no matter how hard you search, there's always at least one problem that hasn't been found, and it shows up the second you go live. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Feedback and Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: