Feature Request: Windowed mode, double size?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Feedback and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iron_ball

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Feature Request: Windowed mode, double size? Reply with quote
I played the demo of TSE2 on a laptop, and ran into some minor annoyances. My resolution is 1440x900; TSE's native resolution appears to be less than half that in both directions. When I run it windowed, it takes up less than a quarter of my screen, forcing me to squint, so fullscreen is much more comfortable.

However, when I run in fullscreen, it forces a good old-fashioned OS-level screen resolution switch, which rearranges my icons, shrinks the windows of any other programs I have open, and so forth. What's more, if I want to use the laptop as a portable, I find myself having to snap it shut and run... then when I open it back up, it's still at a low resolution.

The Spirit Engine 2 is great, and I'm sure the resolution-switching behavior is the fault of the underlying Fusion platform, but if I'm Really Lucky, it's possible to set the windowed mode to double each pixel. (The fact that many emulators and video players have this feature is no guarantee that Fusion does, but it gives me hope.)

I'll probably buy the full game anyway, but if it were a more sociable member of my desktop, I'd have no hesitation. As is, it'll afford me a fair measure of annoyance.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi iron_ball. Unfortunately there isn't an easy fix for this. Sad
I really want it in there and I tried to get better fullscreen support working in the months before release. That's now my dev PC's resolution too. To try and summarise - yes, it's due to issues with the underlying MMF platform.
MMF still has no widescreen aspect support, which has long been a very serious omission. There is a window rescale mode but unfortunately, the object I've used for GUI input has a bug with its mouse handling, which does not scale to the new window size, leaving the game unplayable.

Just to confirm - is it the second resolution mode that is affecting your desktop? The second uses the default MMF resolution switch to 640x480. I haven't had desktop issues with that on my home machine but I have with the third, which uses a third party extension to switch to a custom-specified resolution - hence the warning which should pop up when it is used. I've not had any laptop-specific feedback though.

I was really disappointed with the final state of the resolution controls. The issue has slipped my mind in the months since release though. I'm going to plan to go back and take a look later in the spring when I expect to have a sufficient block of free time. It's a big job because it involves replacing most of the GUI code for every level and I can't guarentee I could come up with a working solution.

I'm really sorry I can't help you more at this stage. Sad
iron_ball

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem is with either variety of resolution switching, really; resolution changes always end up meaning desktop havoc (icon repositioning and window resizing). A larger windowed display, at a lower "resolution" within the window, would be better for my purposes.

Obviously the platform works on the assumption of mapping art directly to the screen pixel for pixel, though, and changing that sort of thing midstream ranges from difficult to impossible unless it was planned for from day one. So I understand. The game is loads of fun, and I'll probably buy it anyway; I've spent more for less and that's a fact. I'll just avoid full-screen mode when I might want to switch between apps or put the laptop to sleep.
iron_ball

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, okay, I do have a request that is probably much easier to fill -- either a mute hotkey, or mute when the app loses focus? That would also contribute greatly to playing nicely with other applications. I'm playing the game, I get a Youtube link from a friend... I'd have to run to a save point, exit, then watch the video.

edit: I have bought it, having a lot of fun... it can be devilishly hard even on Normal if you don't do a little powerleveling, but I like that level of challenge. Just beat the Crone after a brutal fight that could have gone either way. I'm most impressed with the writing, to be honest -- a character like Grace Winters would never get past the teenager-obsessed marketing department at a major company, and the lack (thus far) of endless explanatory monologues is welcome in the extreme. I like piecing things together.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the purchase! Every one counts at the moment, so I'm really grateful. Very Happy

The basic mouse-coordinate functions do rescale well in MMF when using the rescale mode. Unfortunately, the one object I used everywhere for the GUI does not make the correction. Sad I can replace all that code, but it's a long and painful task to attempt in MMF across multiple levels.

About the mute mode - do you mean the music? I can certainly get that in for the next patch which I'm hoping to have done later this month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Feedback and Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: