Game won't work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Feedback and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tytytyty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Game won't work Reply with quote
Whenever I try to start the game by clicking on the .exe file, I get a windows alert sounds followed by a message that says "cannot create file in temporary directory". Another aspect to this is that I can only see the error message when I change the compatability to run in 640x480, otherwise I just hear the alert. Weird?
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there.

What version of the demo are you trying to run?
The versions before 1.04 wrote save data into the install directory. Strange as it may seem, Vista in restricted mode doesn't like this, and will only allow data to be written into user folders such as 'My Documents', unless you run the program in Administrator mode.
I assume you're running Vista? If you're getting the error on version 1.04 of the game, let me know.
tytytyty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is version 1.05 that I am having this issue with.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you able to run the game in administrator mode?

Failing that, you could try changing the data directory. Here's the guidlines from the manual:

Quote:
If you would like to change the folder in which the game looks for its save files, edit the file game.ini in the subfolder of the main install: Data/Current . Change or add the following line:

Data Directory= ( no value, save in main install folder )
Data Directory=MYDOCS ( save in 'User\My Documents\My Games\The Spirit Engine 2' )
Data Directory=SAVEDGAMES ( save in 'User\Saved Games\The Spirit Engine 2' )
Data Directory=APPDATA ( save in 'Application Data\Roaming\The Spirit Engine 2' )
Data Directory=c:\mydir ( save in a user-specified folder - 'c:\mydir\The Spirit Engine 2' in this case )

Beyond that I am running out of ideas. Sad No other windows users have reported a similar error. Do you have any anti-virus software installed that might be generating the error instead Windows itself? Just to check - you are running Vista?
tytytyty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm running windows XP.
Tried changing the game.ini file as suggested with no success.
How do I run in administrator mode? Note, I am the only user on this computer, does that make me administrator by default?
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi. I'm sorry for the late reply. I've been very distracted in the past few weeks with my new job.

I don't know much about XP's access modes. You probably would have difficulty installing or running a lot of other programs if you didn't have admin access.

I'm afraid that I've run out of ideas as to the cause of this. I'm really sorry that I couldn't help you. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Feedback and Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: