3 knights vs. The Crone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SadeDude
Human

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: 3 knights vs. The Crone Reply with quote
I've reached the second battle against The Crone with my party of 3 knights, difficulty locked as absurd.

After having beaten the game couple of times using regular mage-knight-musketeer parties, I decided to try something different.

Until now the game has been pretty manageable, even more so than I initially thought. This battle, however, changed it all.

I really wouldn't want to give up, but I've completely run out of options. Defensive approach seems pretty useless, since my PCs receive far more damage than Brace or Recover could ever deflect; going all out offensive manages to reduce The Crone's health only to about half before my party gets crushed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
SadeDude
Human

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Woah... Finally managed to beat the battle. I have to admit that it was hard, absurdly so.

But that just means that the victory tastes even better. Razz
Brickman
Human

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try Fortify? The entire point of having different defensive skills is that some are more effective in certain situations than others, and the Crone represents the pinnacle of situations were Fortify should be effective and where Brace should be worthless. Also, you should be using hack for the shield, but that seems too obvious to mention.

That and patience. As long as you can keep one knight alive you don't lose and the others can recover.
SadeDude
Human

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fortify? Hmm. I haven't used that skill nearly at all, because ~50 damage reduction seems pretty weak when enemies are hitting for more than 500.

Is the increased armor effect cumulative? Or is it a complete waste of energy to cast Fortify with many PCs at the same time?

By the way, what strategy/skills should I use to beat the Crypt? I can barely reach the part where you acquire the sword.
ROD
Human

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SadeDude wrote:

Is the increased armor effect cumulative?

afair it isnīt, it gets overwritten.
But sometimes you get surprised by the helpfulness of certain skills...maybe it is the time of duration.

As for the crypt and absurd knights, I remember that was a pain (having the Kaltos sword cut scene all over again and again....). I guess it was Thunderstrike, Brace, lots of item experimenting and luck (hoping for not too many Deep Mass things at one time)

Good Luck anyway!

edit: Watch out: the Vampyre Ring from the count was rather helpful, but only with melee attacks (I didnīt notice for some time)
SadeDude
Human

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
After about 50 tries to get through the Crypt with 0 Thunderstrike, I decided to max the skill and blasted my way out of that pit.

I have been doing pretty well since that; the difficulty hasn't got too ridiculous.

However, I've run into another problem. A problem called Ick Thelloth. Previously I've just spammed Smokescreen to make the battle a cakewalk, but there's no chance to do that now.

I find that quince-hitting magic attack especially problematic. It does over 2000 total damage that can only be decreased by a fraction using Brace or Fortify. What should I do?
ROD
Human

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SadeDude wrote:

However, I've run into another problem. A problem called Ick Thelloth. Previously I've just spammed Smokescreen to make the battle a cakewalk, but there's no chance to do that now.

I find that quince-hitting magic attack especially problematic. It does over 2000 total damage that can only be decreased by a fraction using Brace or Fortify. What should I do?

You have to deal damage in a slow way keeping low the backfire, so maybe one alternating "damage dealer" and two performing brace and recover? It might be essential to head back to the fish princess for the items against ethereal damage (in case you missed to buy those)

I didnīt play for a while but Iīm getting caught again...
SadeDude
Human

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished the game. Very Happy Thanks for all the help I've got.

Some (quite trivial) questions came to my mind:

1) What purpose does the "laugh attack" of Ick Thelloth have? Is it merely a taunt or something?

2) Why everyone says that the Black/Blackest Death swords can only be used by Kaltos? Each member of my party seemed to be able to use them with no problems.

3) Is it possible to completely beat the "Test of Strength" thingy with 3 absurd knights in the Promenade? Not that the extra ~200 credits would really matter.

4) Are the fancy Item Effects like Tangleweb or Imp Summon worth using? Are there really any items with Poison or Damn All?
Tiavals
Human

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
2) As far as I know, Blackest Death increases in power when Kaltos kills enemies with it. Meaning that you can use the sword with anyone, but you should use it with Kaltos for it's full potential. Might be wrong though.

4) Tangleweb is superb in my opinion at least, but then, I haven't played with Absurd too much.
ROD
Human

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Congrat!Cool

2) maybe thatīs a minor bug, I think itīs not supposed to work with any other knight. I noticed something similar with Denevers Ring - I could use it on other members but not in every world afair

3) In Absurd mode afair I did succeed there only with three Priests (overridden Bless to overidden Bless to overidden Strike or something...), so it might be impossible, Iīm also curious

4) Iīve found Imp summon pretty useful - especially on absurd mode and with multiple melee enemies, one completely blocked assault once in a while seems to make a lot of difference sometimes (more than a healing item eg), I never trusted the Tanglewood thing, but thatīs because of TSE1. If youīr eplaying with Mericious youīre bound to find some Poison All Item along the way
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: