*spoilers, boss battles*
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corvuus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: *spoilers, boss battles* Reply with quote
I bought the game and started playing and at first I had it on 'hard' because I like to think that I am 'reasonably' good at games, but I have to say that this game IS hard.

I don't like 'grind leveling' so I would just keep pushing forward till I ran into a boss, and got stuck, so I switched it to easy. Even on easy, the game still feels quite difficult and unless you find the 'right skill/party chain' sets, alot of the battles are frankly impossible.

Even on easy I 'barely' beat the 'hero warrior' near the circus.

At any rate, I have gotten all the way to littlehampton and gotten the key to cross. If anyone else needs tips/helps on beaten any of the bosses up to chapter 4, I can probably give some suggestions.

Corv
Jamiri
Human

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's what makes the game so interesting: find the right combat tactics to kill your enemies.
Nillo
Human

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm playing it on Normal currently, and I find it a very good challenge. Not too easy but always possible to move forward.

First time I died and got the Game over screen was versus the Old Crone. I wasn't paying attention to her jumps and tried to strike at the incorrect time. Tactics are *everything* in this game. Smile
Corvuus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, if i wanted to grind and level, then the game becomes *significantly* easier.

I just used the 'given' party at the beginning, but i can't imagine trying the game without 1 of each class. Seriously, what would 3 knights do?

Corv
GiB
Human

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: *spoilers, boss battles* Reply with quote
If the boses were so easy, the game wont be so interesting.
Jimbob
Human

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
3 knights are a surprisingly capable team.
Nillo
Human

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my experience so far the knight has been really powerful. He can heal himself efficiently if he gets in danger, and charge up his attack power to defeat foes that have high damage resistance. My current skill build for Kaltos is equal points into Fortitude/Hack/Recover/Might.

The musketeer is useful with her Powder Imps, they can block two attacks if you're lucky, and they stack if you use the skill repeatedly. My priest hasn't really shined, he's only useful for dishing out magical damage, and he's always the first one to get killed by multi-target attacks.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I increased the difficulty of Easy mode shortly before release, since I found that I could blast through most battles on max speed, spamming skills and barely putting much effort in. Even with my knowledge of the game mechanics, that seemed too easy.

It's a very hard balance to strike. I felt that the game was most enjoyable when battles were closely won and much less so when they were easy and required too little effort.

Don't worry, Urtat in Chapter 4 is supposed to be hard to beat!

I went through the game with 3 knight/3 priest/3 musketeer combinations while balancing. The only serious difficulty I found was one battle at the end of Chapter 8 where a 3-musketeer combination really struggled due to a lack of healing. I added some specific compensation for that.

Hard mode is freaking hard, and I must confess that I haven't even tried Absurd mode much yet. I may give it a go whilst I am still compiling bug reports.
FallenAngel
Human

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Playing on Normal here.
I just got to Porto Vale yesterday and beat the level 53(I think) Knight. Haven't seen a single game over screen yet, although I've come very close a few times. Didn't grind in any way either.

Contrary to many other games, where you just hammer on the attack button and can still pretty much kill everything, TSE2 requires you to pay attention to enemy positions, resistances, armor levels, attack types and patterns and then fight them accordingly.

For example, a little "guide" to defeat the Circus challenge Knight(as far as I still remember all that stuff correctly, not 100% sure on everything):

- His attacks consist of
1. Running straight up to the first party member and hitting it for good piercing damage.
2. Charging through all of your characters, hitting them all for medium piercing damage.
3. Hitting a target of his choice with Swordfaith for decent magical damage.

- His assist skills consist of
1. Healing himself(roughly 500 hp I think).
2. Charging up to deal more damage(takes more too).
3. Fortify himself to raise his armor level.

- Strategy
1. Put your Priest in the front.
Priests have high Chi to soak up physical attacks(Concussive and Piercing), which unlike HP regenerates slowly on it's own.
Sprite Summon can be used to regenerate Chi even faster, if the Priest takes too much damage.
Whenever you're not casting Sprite Summon to regenerate Chi, you should cast Aurora to build up a formidable(and stacking) wall against the Knight's only Magical attack, Swordfaith.

2. Your Knight is the damage dealer for this fight.
The enemy Champion has very high armor values, so you need high single-hit damage to blast through this defense.
Hack is obviously out of the picture, as is Thunderstrike(multi-target and low damage). Swordfaith is single-hit, but doesn't get full benefit from Charge.
That leaves us with Slay.
So the Knight's job is to stand in second row, gather 80 energy and use Charge and then charge up Slay into maximum Overdrive.
Make sure you ONLY attack when the enemy Champion is NOT under a defensive buff, or you'll waste your attack. Preferrably, attack while he charges himself.

3. The Musketeer has a rather boring job here.
Churn out Smoke Screens(make sure to time them properly to not waste time, don't just set them on auto) to majorly hinder the enemy's offense.
When your Knight has his overdrive Slay ready, use Powder Imps instead so you don't risk him missing due to your own Smoke Screen.

I brought him down rather comfortably with this strategy.

Nillo wrote:
My priest hasn't really shined, he's only useful for dishing out magical damage, and he's always the first one to get killed by multi-target attacks.

I'd have to disagree here. Priests are very tough due to their Chi, which acts as regenerating ablative armor against physical damage.
If your Priest is getting taken out by multi-target attacks, it's because you forgot to put up Aurora(which is twice as effective on the caster as a nice bonus) to protect his comparatively low HP from Magical damage.
Not to mention that due to the Chosen skill, they're super resistant to Magical and Ethereal damage anyway.
Nillo
Human

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, but not all attacks are magical, and it seems like chi doesn't always absorb damage for some reason. Sometimes he just takes the damage on health instead of chi and falls to the ground easily. Aurora did help against a few bosses though.
FallenAngel
Human

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Huh...as long as the damage was Concussive(yellow) or Piercing(blue), so far my Priest's Chi never failed to absorb it.
You can see what damage type enemies deal by watching the damage window, are you sure you got hit by physical damage and it passed your Chi?
Nillo
Human

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, I didn't know it only worked against specific types of damage. I may have missed something in the tutorial, or it wasn't explained clearly enough. In that case Aurora and Chi would complement each other nicely.
FallenAngel
Human

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure how much the tutorial explains on Chi myself, but the manual explains it in great detail.

Priests have their regenerating Chi to soak Concussive and Piercing damage, their passive Chosen attribute to reduce Magical and drastically reduce Ethereal damage and finally Aurora to build a(stackable) wall against Magical damage(twice as powerful for the user).
In the end, they end up really tough if you combine these defensive properties.
YanPL-tse
Human

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
again, 3 priests go against almost anything when correct tactics used
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's a really good guide for the Urtat fight FallenAngel.

I shall look at adding a description of chi absorbtion to the 'Priest's Health' skill popup, so that it is easier to find in-game. I think it got rather left out of the tutorials.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: