Anyone playing in absurd difficulty?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROD
Human

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
very short for now:

Luckily thatīs the savegame I kept from the three absurd musketeers:
Containement Block, lvl 82

I guess itīs from after leveling up as we have the sinister sash (which I went back to get afair)

- no points on Flashbang (no one)
- Lucky Lady on 20 everyone
- There was one "Smokescreen-Master" who was also the ethereal damage catcher
The battle took very long and naturally the two others went down quite often - no way past that!

Iīve no time right now, but try to find some and replay this fight (it was by far the hardest)

edit:
Ok - thatīs how I did it:

skills/attributes used:

Ionae, Charlotte: Fortitude, Aimed Shot, Lucky Lady
Grace: Fortitude, Smoke Screen, Lucky Lady

Grace (with best defensive equipment) keeps up the screen and
Ionae and Charlotte do Aimed Shot inbetween and according to the "percentage damage ray", that means they donīt shoot when it is on Grace.
She shouldnīt be knocked out if possible, the other two will be several times.
If possible it is to be managed that they dont go down simultanously - so it may be good if one of them is on low health and the ray is on her to give a full blast (maybe even including Enpowder) for the level of a final knock-out-blow makes no difference to knock-out time and come-back-health.

I suceeded with this stragedy but not with every try and always very close (sometimes losing Grace temporarily, someone has to replace the smoke then)

But then: I couldnīt fully develop all the skills due to lack of refund points! So I expect it to be easier if you didnīt had to spend as much points as I to get there. You also can go back fighting for more refund points (extra levels wouldnīt hurt, too)

Maybe Flashbang is better than Aimed Shot, Iīm not sure.

How was your way through the jungle? - I had a hard time beginning the Tameless Traverse
iamyum-tse
Human

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ho ho ho......

A solid strategy indeed. I've finally beat it, and I have to credit most of the success of the battle to luck. My main strategy was locked flashbang, and smokescreen whenever the the beast blasts something at me. At those times I can only hope that I survive. With enough luck and patience to retry, I brought it down to about 900 to do a double aimed shot finish.

I had to choose flashbang just to have a little more control. My flahsbang skills are all at 0. Otherwise the beast keeps whacking at me and my health drops too fast even with dodge.

I *think* there is no need to put ANY point in dodge with a 3 musketeer party. We are likely to put points in Lucky Lady, and adding a mere 50% dodge skill is sufficient to bring it to the max dodge rate.

IMO this boss is tooooooo tough and relies on luck for the musketeer party.

The forest took some trial-and-error for me. The right path (the one with the brown thing making sludges and poisoning our parties) was hard to start with. I took the down path, which was surprisingly easy with some liberal use of powder imps (max skill), explosive shells (0 skill), aimed shots, and poison.
ROD
Human

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
iamyum-tse wrote:

The forest took some trial-and-error for me. The right path (the one with the brown thing making sludges and poisoning our parties) was hard to start with. I took the down path, which was surprisingly easy with some liberal use of powder imps (max skill), explosive shells (0 skill), aimed shots, and poison.

Yes - I made exactly the same experience, no way through the sludge area in the beginning.
And hey, the Misty Heights give 10% additional dodge, and that helped, donīt you think?
iamyum-tse
Human

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah the extra 10% helped for sure.

Phew...... finally finished the 3-musketeer run. The last fight was harder than I thought. Though I've found the virtually perfect strategy once I survive the first stage. In the second stage, build up as much powder imp as you can while using the smoke to dodge the lightning. If the health is low, then kill off the bulb in the front, and then use interlocking flashbang to halt him from doing ANYTHING. In fact, I used this tactic only till transitioning to the third phase, and have accumulated about 70k powder imps. This is enough for the third and fourth phase combined! In the third phase, interlock flashbang him while Ionae slowly chips his health away. In the last phase, he's completely harmless due to the thick powder imp barrier. I feel so sorry for him. Razz

Onto the final three priest absurd run, and I'll be done with this fantastic game for a long time.
ROD
Human

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
iamyum-tse wrote:
The last fight was harder than I thought. Though I've found the virtually perfect strategy once I survive the first stage. In the second stage, build up as much powder imp as you can while using the smoke to dodge the lightning. If the health is low, then kill off the bulb in the front, and then use interlocking flashbang to halt him from doing ANYTHING. In fact, I used this tactic only till transitioning to the third phase, and have accumulated about 70k powder imps. This is enough for the third and fourth phase combined! In the third phase, interlock flashbang him while Ionae slowly chips his health away. In the last phase, he's completely harmless due to the thick powder imp barrier. I feel so sorry for him. Razz

Onto the final three priest absurd run, and I'll be done with this fantastic game for a long time.

This really sounds cool!
Powder Imps is one of my favourite skills but, as it doesnīt help agains indirect hits, I seldom used it after the 2nd Crone fight (on the absurd run).
The great exception was the Maw where I could sit back and watch two Imp caster and one Lucky shooter
defeating the spiders almost unscathed.

IMO your stragedy for the final fight fits nicely with the story - I can picture him during the last phase hacking effortlessly those imps like an angry little child ...I feel kinda sorry for him, too Smile
iamyum-tse
Human

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The three-priest run is definitely the hardest combination I've tried. Already got frustrated when defeated by the first crone, which I normally breeze through. Passing through, the second crone was tougher. After leveling up and persisting, finally was able to rush the crone and defeated her. And then I died once in 3 theives+1 magician fight in Porte Vale. Persisting through that, the Cloud Child is my latest predicament. The low health and the lack of rapid chi regeneration drains the party down quickly and I don't have time to attack. I guess I could try max-aurora and max-sprite summon while sacrificing attack skill points. A three-priest party is just not suited for long lasting battles....
ROD
Human

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds really challenging...I guess I know why I didnīt try this one yet, but now itīs tickling me
iamyum-tse
Human

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
After some leveling up and persistence, I've managed to beat the cloud child and proceed to the mountain. However, my priest trio got stuck again (for quite some time) at the second fight in the ascent: the 3 chillsplinters. These beasts don't respect user order, damage me quite a bit, while it takes some time for me to beat one. By the time I take one down, my chil is more than half depleted. I am at level 56 now and have only brought down two chillsplinters by chance once. Once all of my chill is depleted, I'm screwed and healing just isn't fast enough. I guess I'm just not using the right strategy. Any help is appreciated.
ROD
Human

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you develop Sprite Summon?
Thatīs maybe a key skill since it seems necessary to persist during long battles with priests having chi and aurora instead of decent health and armour.

I also finally started this challenge and had great difficulties already in World 2s final fight, currently exploring the silent snow fields
iamyum-tse
Human

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have developed it, but not fully. The difference in chi regeneration is going to be minor. The chi system is basically secondary health. At party level 56 and skill level 6, sprite summon regenerates chi at ~330 in 140 cycles. That's roughly 110 per action round. Keeping in mind that chi is reduced before armor and resistance is considered, 110 per round is insignificant. (One Chillspinter can easily damage one person for 500+ before resistance, or 600+ total if attacks all three party members) When chi is depleted, only then the effect of resistance and armor are visible. Unfortunately, the low health generally makes the priest busy healing, and at some point I lose the struggle.

The only viable strategy I see is rushing. Getting prepped when I can still take a few hits, and then hope to bring down one enemy fast. Once one falls, try to bring down another enemy before the first gets back up. With chillspinters, they change order while underground which makes it impossible to snipe.

I'll try leveling up more and use different strategies~
ROD
Human

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
iamyum-tse wrote:
The difference in chi regeneration is going to be minor. The chi system is basically secondary health. At party level 56 and skill level 6, sprite summon regenerates chi at ~330 in 140 cycles. That's roughly 110 per action round. Keeping in mind that chi is reduced before armor and resistance is considered, 110 per round is insignificant.

But combined with Trick or Staggering Blow it might produce better results with the ethereal damage addition compensating partly the poor damage rates of those skills...but ok, the Splinters come with high ethereal resistance afair and unpredictable attack choices..hm, letīs see if I even get that far.
Good luck anyway Smile
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is an impressive effort folks! I only tested the game with 3 priests on Normal difficulty. I can imagine it being very difficult on Absurd.

Good luck! Very Happy
ROD
Human

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hohohoo...

My three absurd priests defeated the Cloud Child on first try! No "artificial" levelling up (though I visited all the areas and completed the Promenade)
I donīt like to go too deeply into maths when playing, more a try-and-error-guy, so I just state:
Summon Sprite and Staggering Blow is making the difference!

Chill Splinters, Iīm on my way! Very Happy
iamyum-tse
Human

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
After much struggle and persistence, I've finally beated the 3 priest absurd challenge. Like any other character combinations, the priest trio have its tough times with some enemies while easily waded through others. Due to its relative inability to reduce physical damages and the inability to rapidly regenerate chi, long lasting physical battles makes the challenge difficult. One who plays this feels the difficulty even during the animal fending in world 2. Later memorable enemies include the crone, the city thieves+sorcerer, cloud child, chillspinter trio, spiders in the maw, and the final boss. It's my first time dying during the final form of the final boss.

Techniques I find helpful in these situations:

(1) If you have a breather, cast sprite summon. However, keep in mind that it is not as effective as heal.

(2) If you have a breather, cast aurora. But also keep in mind that it is not as effective as heal (because priests are naturally resistant to magic and aurora is subtracted before resistance).

(3) Take down an enemy, or two, to reduce the attacking force. Sometimes offence can be the best defence.

(4) Try not to let your comrades KO. That'll substantially reduce your healing power. Use trick to reduce damage to help survive a blow and delay its next attack.

(5) Resist temptation to rush.

Overall this was a fun, difficult, and achievable challenge. Laughing Good luck to all who're trying. I can finally put this game down for a very long time. Wink
iamyum-tse
Human

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Post collision! You must be using a more effective defensive strategy than I do. I'll be interested to hear your strategies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: