Unanswered Questions of TSE2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CGman
Human

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Unanswered Questions of TSE2 Reply with quote
I noticed several open-ended mysteries craftily left unanswered at the close of TSE2. Do I hear sequel, anyone?

1. Where do the musketeer characters get all those handy barrels of smokescreen? (Possibility: From the same place the party keeps their food.)

2. How did Jacques survive: (a) the jump off the cliff, (b) the Porto Vale apocalypse, and (c) so many cigarettes? (Possibility: he's Jacques, idiot.)

3. What happened to Clays 1 through 12? (Possibility: Commissioned for their own spin-off game - Tremor 5)

Clearly, Mark has left the door open for a fascinating followup to TSE2.

Add your own, folks!
Brickman
Human

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
1. The smokescreen comes from hammerspace, obviously.

2. Jacques probably had a parachute or rope or something up his sleeve when jumping off the cliff, and probably hid just like the party in Porto Vale (he just locked himself in another bunker from the inside rather than outside; not the same one, obviously, since the party would've killed him). Smoking takes a while to kill you, usually longer than being a spy does.

3. That's the interesting question. I'm guessing they weren't working properly after all those years, like the identical robot which attacked the party in chapter 2 (when it should, logically, have acted servile to Isabelle, like Scratchy near the end). Either they'd deteriorated until they couldn't function, rust had claimed enough of their circuitry to drive them insane, or they'd been destroyed in the fighting during the storm (perhaps trying to defend against the Rakari; being immune to mind-control and autonomous, they'd have been conscripted to fight once humanity realized what the Rakari could do.
CGman
Human

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like my answer to (3) better.

Regarding Hammerspace, it should be noted that wikipedia asserts that it pertains to
Quote:
the physical dimension that characters reach into to pull out very large mallets, or other objects, to hit other characters on the head. The main difference is that "hammerspace" is used in reference to animation and other fiction in which the viewer or reader does not participate.

Apparently, the correct term for our purposes is "magic satchel".
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
1 - They come in pocket-size capsules that inflate when you add water.

2a - I always pictured him plummeting almost to the bottom before unfurling a large parachute with the Yaegaran flag on it. Like Roger Moore before the credits of 'The Spy who loved Me'.
Brickman's rope idea sounds more plausible though.
I like the idea of him just hanging there, irritably waiting for the party to stop talking and leave whilst freezing to death in his suit.

2b - He was supposed to hide in the bunker directly next door. But awkward level design left the door for it looking like the first door left open and animating him using it seemed like a nuisance. So he walks out. Sad

2c - See Brickman's answer again. Smile I hope Yaegara has/had a good health service, because in 20 years time he's going to need it.

3 - Clay 13 probably just has the number 13 written on him somewhere and was found alone. Again, I like Brickman's idea though.

Whilst a sequel is not planned, a prequel expansion pack will probably be required to tie up these pressing loose ends.

4 - Why do they complain about the cold but not put any extra clothes on in Chapter 6? ( thermal underwear? )

5 - Exactly how do Batiste and company manage to avoid the Rakari so well? ( maybe they bought good quality tinfoil hats from Surplus Sam )

6 - How does Enshadu wash and shave? Does he? o_O
Nillo
Human

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a question: What are the Spirals? It is mentioned that Artie in the Trader's Station went there and came back knowing about the plans of the Rakari (or at least vaguely).
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was intended to be a rather strange and shunned area in Lereftain that most people avoided. Presumably there were some unusual Aulder ruins there, or some strange creatures resident.

I put together a map to try and maintain some geographical consistency, that ended up being used for the Chapter intros. I've put the full version up here:

http://www.thespiritengine.com/Images/WorldMap.png

The Spirals are in the center-South.
Brickman
Human

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is located in the other two aulder ruins that the third party member mentions when you first visit the one we see, or for that matter the ones you just mentioned?
YanPL-tse
Human

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
6 - does he have to? What about ancient mummification materials - like bandages dipped in some "believed-to-be-magic" liquid? Or, maybe some awful parasites feed on his beard/moustache, all dirt getting beneath bandage, or even, whole his body. I believe it'd be better if this one was left alone with his mysteries.
Brickman
Human

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If he never, ever removes the bandages, and they were applied thoroughly enough, nothing should get past them. However, stuff should still sneak in his mask, but maybe as long as he doesn't use a mirror or let anyone including himself see his face he can remove it. Or maybe he never washes his face; noone sees it.

Here's just hoping that when he finally removes his bandages as the epilogue implies he will he doesn't find that his skin has all atrophied and turned a disturbing color and stuff.
TwiTerror
Musical Maestro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I heard Chuck Norris is hiding underneath those robes.
ROD
Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TwiTerror wrote:
Laughing
then he must have grown up at last
YanPL-tse
Human

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
TwiTerror wrote:
that would explain why doesn't enshadu shave - nothing is sharp enough...
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
What is located in the other two aulder ruins that the third party member mentions when you first visit the one we see, or for that matter the ones you just mentioned?

I didn't really give it any thought. Something weird and interesting, hopefully. Smile
Brickman
Human

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fuel for a sequel, that's what.

Maybe?
FurryRage
Human

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

Isn't one of the two other the one you find in chapter 8?
When you visit the first aulder ruins, he spoke of one in a forest near a river and I don't remember the name but I'm pretty sure it's the same name as the forest where you land in chapter 8, so it's supposed to be the same ruin.

Thus, it only leaves us with one unexplored ruin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: