Some bugs I've encountered (Spoilers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Feedback and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rogue
Human

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Some bugs I've encountered (Spoilers) Reply with quote
I encountered some of these in versions 1.00 and 1.01, and I haven't installed 1.03 yet, so some of these bugs might have already been fixed.

I can equip The Black Death on knights other than Kaltos and Order of the Palidi on characters other than Denever by left clicking. If I right click the item and drag it onto the slot, the restrictions work properly.

If my party is finished off by a Muegin in chapter 7, the battle keeps going with your entire party unconscious. This might be fixed by the 1.03 patch though.

There was also this weird problem that happened once where the Muegins were passing through one of my characters without latching onto them. I'm not sure how it happened, maybe somehow the game thought there was already a Muegin was latched onto him? I think he was knocked out once while a Muegin was on him during the battle.

The Opal Swarms in chapter 7 sometimes hit my characters lots of times in a single attack, knocking them out instantly even though they had plenty of health. There was a similar problem like this that was fixed where certain attacks would hit multiple times if you pause at a certain time, but the game wasn't paused when my character was attacked. I think this might have been fixed, I haven't been able to reproduce it recently.

A graphical glitch. The Forest Spiders and Candessas in chapter 7 turn into box monsters when they dodge. I suspect that there are more enemies that do this as well.

There's this weird problem where sometimes an enemy or character won't have their health displayed over them, and attacks pass through them. The easiest way for me to reproduce it is to go start the final battle, return to the main menu, then load up your game and start the final battle again. Isabelle won't have her health displayed. Another place it happens is in the Main Canalway in chapter 3. I beat the first battle, kill the Demonite in the front of the second battle, return to the main menu, reload then go to the same area. The first enemy doesn't have its health displayed, and all my attacks go through it. Sometimes the Demonite from the second battle attacks in the first battle running backwards, and it has the health and stats of the Batroc that has no health over it. There might be other places where this can happen as well.

There is a glitch that can cause two songs to be playing at the same time. In certain areas if I run to the first battle as fast as I can right when I enter the battle music starts playing before the area music. The area music will start playing after I start the battle, with the battle music playing as well. I don't know if it has to do with the loading time on my computer or what. This works coming from the right in the Adjanti Heartroom, and quite a few other places.

I don't know how it happened, and I haven't been able to reproduce it, but one time after beating West Ascension, right when I was entering the room with the World Eye, the cutscene that plays when Batiste is ejected from the World Eye started playing. The battle started with nobody around and I couldn't do anything, so I had to restart the game and do West Ascension over again. I don't know exactly what I did. I know I skipped part of the cutscene that playes before entering the World Eye room and read some of it, but I don't know exactly what parts I skipped or if that even had anything to do with it. Another time when I skipped the cutscene there the music that was supposed to start playing didn't, and the music that was playing during the cutscene kept on going when the battle with Batiste started.

Not really a bug, but in the item effect descriptions in the manual, it explains the damn all and charge item effect. There aren't any items that damn all, not even in the item viewer. If any of the items that have the charge effect are in the game, they're pretty well hidden.

Also one minor annoyance. I don't like how you can't go to the main menu from the overworld screens. It's usually not that big a deal, but every once in a while it bugs me.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reports Rogue, they're really helpful.

Quote:
Also one minor annoyance. I don't like how you can't go to the main menu from the overworld screens. It's usually not that big a deal, but every once in a while it bugs me.

I agree, I'll put this on the TODO list.

Quote:
Not really a bug, but in the item effect descriptions in the manual, it explains the damn all and charge item effect. There aren't any items that damn all, not even in the item viewer. If any of the items that have the charge effect are in the game, they're pretty well hidden.

They used to be in the game, but I must have downgraded them before release.

Quote:
I don't know how it happened, and I haven't been able to reproduce it, but one time after beating West Ascension, right when I was entering the room with the World Eye, the cutscene that plays when Batiste is ejected from the World Eye started playing. The battle started with nobody around and I couldn't do anything, so I had to restart the game and do West Ascension over again. I don't know exactly what I did. I know I skipped part of the cutscene that playes before entering the World Eye room and read some of it, but I don't know exactly what parts I skipped or if that even had anything to do with it. Another time when I skipped the cutscene there the music that was supposed to start playing didn't, and the music that was playing during the cutscene kept on going when the battle with Batiste started.

That's a nasty bug. Sad I'll take a look at it.

Quote:
There is a glitch that can cause two songs to be playing at the same time. In certain areas if I run to the first battle as fast as I can right when I enter the battle music starts playing before the area music. The area music will start playing after I start the battle, with the battle music playing as well. I don't know if it has to do with the loading time on my computer or what. This works coming from the right in the Adjanti Heartroom, and quite a few other places.

Could be a load time issue as you say. Again, using timer based events is causing headaches. :/ I have almost removed all of them as of 1.03

Quote:
There's this weird problem where sometimes an enemy or character won't have their health displayed over them, and attacks pass through them. The easiest way for me to reproduce it is to go start the final battle, return to the main menu, then load up your game and start the final battle again. Isabelle won't have her health displayed. Another place it happens is in the Main Canalway in chapter 3. I beat the first battle, kill the Demonite in the front of the second battle, return to the main menu, reload then go to the same area. The first enemy doesn't have its health displayed, and all my attacks go through it. Sometimes the Demonite from the second battle attacks in the first battle running backwards, and it has the health and stats of the Batroc that has no health over it. There might be other places where this can happen as well.

Wierd. :/ Could have something to do with holding values in memory across frames, but they ought to be manually reset. The reproduction instructions are most helpful.

Quote:
A graphical glitch. The Forest Spiders and Candessas in chapter 7 turn into box monsters when they dodge. I suspect that there are more enemies that do this as well.

Should be fixed in 1.03

Quote:
The Opal Swarms in chapter 7 sometimes hit my characters lots of times in a single attack, knocking them out instantly even though they had plenty of health. There was a similar problem like this that was fixed where certain attacks would hit multiple times if you pause at a certain time, but the game wasn't paused when my character was attacked. I think this might have been fixed, I haven't been able to reproduce it recently.

I'll take a look, in theory this could have been fixed by the changes in 1.02.

Quote:
There was also this weird problem that happened once where the Muegins were passing through one of my characters without latching onto them. I'm not sure how it happened, maybe somehow the game thought there was already a Muegin was latched onto him? I think he was knocked out once while a Muegin was on him during the battle.

I think it could be this. The code for them is a nightmare. I thought I'd fixed this, but it's so hard to reproduce. Sad

Quote:
If my party is finished off by a Muegin in chapter 7, the battle keeps going with your entire party unconscious. This might be fixed by the 1.03 patch though.

Should be fixed in 1.03

Quote:
I can equip The Black Death on knights other than Kaltos and Order of the Palidi on characters other than Denever by left clicking. If I right click the item and drag it onto the slot, the restrictions work properly.

This was a result of the changes made after the public test that I let go because the BD ended up as the only character-specific item in the game. I'm wary of messing with the inventory code for now, so I'll give it a very low priority, or may just remove the restrictions.
Nillo
Human

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can confirm that the Batiste cutscene glitch you described has happened to me once. I was using 1.00, for what it's worth, but I haven't completed West Ascension enough times to know if it is possible to reproduce or if it's even still there in the new patch.
Rogue
Human

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I figured out a way to reproduce the Batiste bug. If I fight Batiste and weaken him down to his final form, exit to the main menu then reload my game at West Ascension, beat it and go to the World Eye it happens. Actually I don't even have to beat West Ascension. If I just load up my game at the World Eye it will happen right when it starts up. The cutscene seems to be triggered by Batiste's health being reduced below a certain point, but it only seems to occur if I get him down to his final form before restarting. I tested out actually losing to his final form (for some reason a Construct popped up when I lost to him which was a bit weird) and reloading, and it didn't happen. I'm pretty sure that I hadn't fought Batiste in the same play session in which I first encountered the bug, so there is probably another way for this bug to be set up.

Another little problem that I found is that in the battle with the Demonites you fight when you first enter Underport in chapter 3, character one already has all of their skills. The message that tells the player that they've gained the skills isn't displayed until after the battle is over. A very minor problem, but it does seem a bit weird suddenly having skills that you didn't have before with no explanation.

Also when testing this, I found that if I return to the menu after killing the Demonites, then load up my save game and go to fight them again, when they're talking their death animation plays. When the battle starts I hear the revive chime and the battle goes normally. I get the feeling that a lot of things aren't reset properly when you return to the main menu or when entering an area. This can potentially lead to a lot of strange bugs.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I understand the underlying cause now. There's two quirks in MMF's logic that are combining to cause these problems.

Firstly, although these are logically different instances of the relevant objects, they seem to occupy the same memory/values etc. I presume this is a runtime effect of tagging them as global to make them easier to edit across frames.

Secondly, although I make an explicit call to destroy all existing objects at the start of the level and wipe the slate clean, I very recently read while browsing the support forums that MMF doesn't actually perform the destruction until the end of the main loop it is called in. I don't why that is the case, but it gives the other specific code enough time to catch an instance of an object that 'logically' should not exist with its current values.

The more time I spend coding with MMF, the more I get used to its quirks. But stuff like this still makes me facepalm. Sad
Thanks again for the reports Rogue. Hopefully these issues should be an easy fix in the next patch.
Akatosh
Human

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

The illusions seem to do that too. Well, Denver's old buddy does, but I guess the others don't have dodge animations either, what with their 0% natural dodge chance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Feedback and Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: