Awesome... notes on the Black Death Sword (Spoiler)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
euthanatos
Human

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Awesome... notes on the Black Death Sword (Spoiler) Reply with quote
Found the Black Death Sword in the Count's family crypt.

Didn't use it for a while, but saw it was worth 600 to the vendor, so sold my old sword worth 300 and figured it was way better and began using it.

I am using KALTOS. The sword struck up a convo with him after a few battles.

I noticed every few battles, the sword's Ethereal damage modifier was INCREASING, going from +95 all the way to +103 or +104 after many battles

The conversations continued, with the sword goading Kaltos to murdering my two companions (Enshadu & Charlotte), and Kaltos began to speak with the sword often and seemed to be falling for its little tricks.

It insisted Kaltos murder his friends and head south to the "Spirals", to capture or murder a Rakari; the sword claimed the gem inside the sword was the spirit of this particular demon trying to lead Kaltos astray. Kaltos plucked out the gem and the demon inside of it began to get worried. Kaltos squeezed the gem hard and it screamed in pain. Kaltos then chuckled and ridiculed the demon within the gem, calling his bluff about how powerful it was. Kaltos also explained he would never do evil deeds again (implying many occurred in his past) and then smashed the gemstone.

Enshadu and Charlotte were growing worried w/ Kaltos speaking to himself (the gem demon only spoke to Kaltos telepathically). But, Kaltos reassured them everything was fine.

At this point I was annoyed figuring my sword was destroyed. Then I took another step and I got a message: Kaltos overpowered the Demon and the sword UPGRADED into "Blackest Death" rather than the Black Death

Base Dmg now 13
Ethereal -35% (same as before)
Health now -250 vs -400 before
Now does magickal bonus +60 (none before)
Now does Ethereal Bonus +106 (same as before after it grew during many battles)

I hope the Ethereal keeps growing... but I wonder, how does a Knight do any Ethereal damage anyway???

Anyway this was an awesome little subplot..
figured I would share since the one guy's near-perfect walkthrough mentioned the sword cutscenes but said he hadn't followed up on it. (His walkthrough in all other regards seems perfect.)
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm glad you enjoyed the subplot euthanatos! Very Happy
Both versions of the Black Death sword gain +1 ethereal damage every time the party gains a level.

They were a little difficult to balance for gameplay, and eventually I had to significantly nerf both. The ethereal bonus is still very strong when used with Hack.
Unfortunately, the sword is picked up just before an area of the game that is filled with ethereal-immune enemies, which does not encourage a player to keep it. Not a great piece of game design there! Wink
TwiTerror
Musical Maestro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting fact:

The Black Death subplot, when I first read it in the scripts, seemed much longer and involved, and I wrote the Black Death a theme (this was before I made the soundtrack orchestral).

You can hear it here:
http://www.last.fm/music/Josh+Whelchel/_/The+Black+Death?autostart

(This was for a specific cutscene, there is another version in the premonitions albums that was more fitting for the dialogue asides)
euthanatos
Human

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Listened to it

And your unreleased tracks too you posted

They're all pretty damn good

This music reminds me of the fantastic piano versions of the soundtracks of the old SNES games like Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger

Anyway, I managed to beat the game after 17 hours. Surprisingly the final battle was not as hard as I expected---my hardest fight was probably versus the Count until I read that one guy's extensive walkthrough and his advice, and those battles with the leech-enemies in the jungle that stick to your characters and drain them to death!

Overall this game -- sound + story + overall was awesome

Unfortunately my work is picking up very badly and vacation is over, but I am just thankful as hell I got to finish the game before work begins next week
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: