New Game?!?!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbob
Human

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: New Game?!?!? Reply with quote
It's been a week and not a single post speculating about the new tactics game? C'mon people!

If it's the tactics idea you told me about aaaaaaaages ago then I'm properly psyched for this...

Discuss! Very Happy
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Jimbob! It's great to hear from you! How are you doing?

I've tried to work on a lot of tactics games/RTS games in the last couple of years. I can't remember which ones I've been babling about! Smile I expect this one will disappoint some people, but I've been enjoying it. It's a WW2 game, a mix of Advance Wars, Company of Heroes and Axis and Allies miniatures ( tabletop game )

I'm hoping to use the engine at some time in the (maybe distant) future to resurrect my Love-COM game, as a lot of the code and AI routines should be reusable.

The release this Christmas will be very limited - it's just a little skirmish mode with the British and German sides working. It's been really nice to work on a game again without worrying too much about the rough edges, and an opportunity to work with C++, albeit not for particuarly complex coding. I'm happy to be getting back to freeware development, I just wish I had more spare time for it.

Screenshot!

GiB
Human

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The trees look quite good.Is this going to be a turn based game?I really love strategies, but real-time ones.It still looks very promising.
The idea of showing some statistics in game is unique, keep it.Good luck with this game. Smile
Jimbob
Human

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm doing okay cheers. Currently down in London doing an MSc. I do remember you mentioning a kinda-Advance Wars type game but I think it was the superheroes one I was thinking of.

This one is looking good though. After the skirmish mode, do you reckon you might expand on it at all?
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh cool, Jim! Very Happy How's the masters going? What's your project/thesis on?

That superhero game was ages ago! Wow, I'd forgotten about it myself. I tried writing the game in MMF, fastloops and all, and it was appallingly slow.

I've wanted to do something in iso for so long now. There's plenty of room for expansion. But I want to see if anyone else is interested in playing first, since I've been working on it for 9 months now ( albeit 5 of those in my spare time ) and in gameplay terms it's fairly derivative.

I did a lot of the dev work on my netbook. It was nice sitting out in the back garden, programming in the sun! Alas, not much chance of that for the next 4 or so months.
Jimbob
Human

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haha, I love my little NC10 netbook, and I don't actually use any other computer at the moment. Didn't think I'd ever get used to the small screen, but it makes using other computers feel more like a privilege Razz

I'm doing a Masters in Naval Architecture at the moment, learning how to design big ships, sponsored to do it through my job and I'm loving it so far.

And with the popularity of things like WeeWar I'm sure there's plenty of scope for another tactics game in iso.

As a side note, you wouldn't be interested in popping to the TigJam in Cambridge in January next year? It's on the weekend of the 15th... I've booked my place, and I might also be meeting up with a few of the ACoders so it should be good fun. Hoping it'll give me a chance to flex the dev fingers, and there'll be plenty of willing testers for any new projects you've got going *nudge*nudge* Wink ...
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, Jim, that sounds fantastic. :O Congratulations on achieving such an exciting sponsorship! It sounds like you're still really busy. Have you been able to find much time for your own projects?

I probably won't be available for TigJam. Thanks for asking through.
TwiTerror
Musical Maestro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jimbob wrote:
Haha, I love my little NC10 netbook, and I don't actually use any other computer at the moment. Didn't think I'd ever get used to the small screen, but it makes using other computers feel more like a privilege Razz

I'm doing a Masters in Naval Architecture at the moment, learning how to design big ships, sponsored to do it through my job and I'm loving it so far.

And with the popularity of things like WeeWar I'm sure there's plenty of scope for another tactics game in iso.

As a side note, you wouldn't be interested in popping to the TigJam in Cambridge in January next year? It's on the weekend of the 15th... I've booked my place, and I might also be meeting up with a few of the ACoders so it should be good fun. Hoping it'll give me a chance to flex the dev fingers, and there'll be plenty of willing testers for any new projects you've got going *nudge*nudge* Wink ...

Interested in buying me a plane ticket to Cambridge from the states? (;
Jimbob
Human

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haha, I'd love to Twi, not quite rolling in money yet. But give me a few years and I'm sure I'd be able to design the multi-million dollar yacht you were after...

Yeah, unfortunately game making has been a bit on the backburner but I've been digging into some AGS dev, with a few point-and-click adventures written but still developing. Might have one done by the new year... but I always say that...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: